I’ll be on a panel next Saturday at SXSW 2011 titled Why Visualizing Government Data Makes Taxpayers Happy.
I’m really hoping to see a lot of people from local, state and federal government at SXSW this year. This is a great year for public sector employees attending the conference.
Here are a few of the things I’m going to discuss with my co-panelist and friend @jeremiahakin:
- Why open data is important to government transparency and earning the public’s trust
- How the federal government has served as a model
- How agencies can distribute data visualization across teams, often to non-technical workers.
- What tools agencies and other organizations can use to adopt similar strategies
- The value and risks associated with various file formats, including Fusion Table and Google Earth.
- Upcoming data visualization trends